Monday 2 August 2010

Map Prototype and Brief from the NSC

After the showcase Neil Shorrock, Kevin Yates and Darren Clegg from the National Space Centre were invited to IOCT and Fused Media labs at DMU to see the prototypes of myself and another student collaborating with them for his Major Project, Christian Cornwell - check out the blog for his NSC Moonwalk application:


As well as the Planets Test demo, I showed them another simple AR exhibit demo I'd made.

MAP TEST (Second Prototype):

Map Test is my second prototype, developed using the basic principles from Planets Test, but applied to an example relevant to the NSC - a 3D model I created as a replica of the printed map of the museum which is featured in their guidebook. Have a look at me using Map Test in the video below:


ORIGINAL NSC MAP IN THEIR CURRENT GUIDEBOOK

PROJECT BRIEF (provided by the NSC):

After the demos, Neil agreed to co-supervise my project with Prof. Mohammad Ibrahim from De Montfort, and sent me via email a brief for what he hopes I can provide them as part of my Major Project, which is summarised here:

To develop an interactive system that will enable visitors with guide books to access additional content and information, both video and audio, from terminals located within the exhibition.

The current guide book includes sections on the different galleries within the centre and a map for overall orientation.
The aim is to make the guide book an essential part of the visit by encouraging the visitor to use it throughout their visit, thus enhancing their experience.
It would be desirable if the interactive system could also act as a guide, so that visitors could locate their current position and receive advice on where to go next.
So, to summarise even more plainly, the NSC want me to develop an AR application which uses markers embedded in their guidebook, which can then be used around the museum to interact with virtual content using webcam stations as a means of discovering more about the various exhibits. There's a few things that Neil is keen for the application to make use of:
  • A unique marker symbol, embedded within the pages of the guidebook.
  • Different types of A/V content making up the virtual content of the AR application - Neil has told me I am free to push the boat out in this respect!
These can be coupled with some of the things I am keen for my application to make use of:
  • Differing levels of complexity for markers, including colour incorporated into designs.
  • Use of multiple markers, each with different content / functions.
  • Novel display of content - something more than just 3D models or text - content which can be truly interacted with.
  • Novel method of interaction - something slightly more than just making use of the mouse or keyboard.
So, with all these points to consider, I think it's pretty safe to say we're in line for (hopefully) a pretty interesting outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment